Early Harvest

We have begun to harvest some more veggies from our garden- the first garden I've had since we moved here!  I planted broccoli, romaine lettuce, onions, tomatoes, sweet peppers, jalapenos, and carrots.  I think next year we will skip out on the broccoli as it swallows space in the garden.  Also, if you don't know, you get one big head of broccoli from each plant and then each one religiously produces small shoots for a long time, you get a lot of produce from it considering 9 plants only cost about two bucks, but you really have to keep up with harvesting it.  We used green onions in several dishes in late spring/early summer, and then let the rest grow to become white onions.  I love fresh produce and my goal is to be able to have enough to provide some freezer food for over the fall or winter- we'll see about that in the future!


I like to pick some of the tomatoes a little early so that they ripen inside, I find if I pick them too late they are a little too soft for using on sandwiches or for sauteing in recipes.





Notice the carrots on the very top, I dug them up that way all twisted up and hugging each other- so cute!

Post a Comment