Fab Faux Finish

For those of you who have never been on the inside of our home: it's green. And I don't mean eco-friendly and energy efficient (although I do pride myself in trying SO HARD to be as environmentally sweet as we possibly can be- to Jerod's complete displeasure). I mean the kitchen and living room walls are GREEN. But to be more specific- Bamboo Shoot in the Kitchen and Gentle Moss in the living room- both by Valspar at Lowe's if you ever think you're crazy enough to throw that much color on your walls. What can I say? I was a very enthusiastic new home owner and every wall in our home was white.


Don't get me wrong, I love the green color, but it had just been making me green to look at it on every. single. wall. in the front of the house. So I decided to do an accent wall, but I knew it couldn't just be another color- the other walls would be more accented than any other color I chose to help mute them. I chose to do a faux finish- a faux suede finish, which actually ended up looking more like aged stone or pueblo to me, but I love it and I love that it adds visual texture that takes the focus off the green and calms the whole living room. Since it is a lighter color it has also helped brighten the room and make it seem bigger- a 2-for-1 I didn't think about.


In this one you can see more of the overlaps, which looks more stone-y than suede-y



This is actually what it looks like when you see it, you don't notice the overlaps as much, but you can tell it's not just one coat of color


If you want to try your hand at a faux suede finish check it out here. The only part of their method that I didn't use was to do a second coat. I like the way my finish looks now and, to be honest, I didn't have the energy to do another coat. I spent several hours on the first coat, I love it so it was worth it, and that's good enough for me. I also worked in a larger area than they suggest since you can see the overlapped edges- make sure you blend really well if you try this and get a partner to help you do it!


Post a Comment